St. John's Christian Education Program strives to offer a nurturing and caring environment for youth to grow and act as a Christian faith community and to be more fully aware of God’s presence through the specific implementation of dynamic Biblical and liturgy based curriculum. We welcome all youth and we seek to foster a spiritual foundation through an understanding of God and God’s loving call to us. We celebrate with joy and have a deep respect for this community.
Children and Youth Program Sunday Morning Schedule AT A GLANCE:
· 10:00am – All children, youth, and families (and others) gather in church to SING!* 10:10am – Children age 4 through 5th grade gather in the narthex for the “procession”
· 10:45am – noon: Youth Group (6th grade/up) 1st to receive Communion, meets on 3rd floor
SING!* The children, youth (and their families) are encourage to come a bit early into the church at 10:00am each Sunday to sing together before the service. We’ll gather in the East Transept, learn one or two songs each week: songs that are part of our service, songs they will learn ‘by heart’, fun songs that will stay with them for the rest of their lives. If you have a song you would like to teach, or if you are willing to help, please call me!
Youth Group (Grades 6 – 12/Two Groups)
This is a group of great older tweens and teenagers (6th – 12th grade)! The youth remain in church during the first part of the service (they can sit with parents OR as a group, and many serve as acolytes and lectors). They are the first to receive communion at the 10:15 am service (they should just follow the green nun up to the altar J), and then they leave with their leaders for “Youth Group” from about 10:45 to noon on the 3rd floor.
NEW! This year we are starting two separate groups, knowing that there will be some overlaps, and some choices to cross over between groups will be made by the kids based on where they are most comfortable, and where they have relationships.
· Ages 12ish and up (6th – 12th Grade/Two Groups): Youth Group –
§ Group 1 – ages 12 – 14 or (roughly 6th – 8th grade)
§ Group 2 – ages 14 and up (roughly 9th – 12th grade)
· NEW! Confirmation Class – This year, Rev.’s Beth Taylor and Tim Spannaus will teach a Confirmation Class. A separate mailing/email will go out to find the best time for the older youth for this 6 week (once a week) intensive spiritual immersion! It’s going to be great.
· NEW! Adventure Trip– This year, the older youth will be led on an adventure pilgrimage by Jennifer and Scott Bruns and Rev. Beth Taylor to the Boundary Waters of Minnesota! Attendance at a minimum of 6 planning/preparation meetings will be required. We can take up to 18 people so start planning now and make a commitment very soon if you plan to attend. For youth who will be entering 9th grade by June 2016.
How will I know what’s GOING ON from week to week?
· All of the activities are printed weekly in the Worship Bulletin/Announcements section
· Brief reminders are listed in the weekly E-newsletter that is sent on Thursday afternoons
· Announcements are posted on St. John’s Facebook page: St. John’s Episcopal Church, Royal Oak MI Forms, special events, and the Church Calendar are posted on St. John’s website: www.stjohnro.org
· We send occasional announcements by mail or email to specific age groups (i.e. parents of Youth preparing for Confirmation, etc).
Other Important Dates:
· First Sunday of (Every) Month/October thru June – Breakfast after the 10:15 service. The youth group helps with this each month.
Master Calendar (other activities may be added)
· Coming soon!
The Rev. Beth Taylor, Rector and your Children and Youth Ministries Leadership Team