St. John's Christian Education Program strives to offer a nurturing and caring environment for youth to grow and act as a Christian faith community and to be more fully aware of God’s presence through the specific implementation of dynamic Biblical and liturgy based curriculum. We welcome all youth and we seek to foster a spiritual foundation through an understanding of God and God’s loving call to us. We celebrate with joy and have a deep respect for this community.
Children and Youth Program Sunday Morning Schedule AT A GLANCE:
· 10:00am – All children, youth, and families (and others) gather in church to SING!* 10:10am – Children age 4 through 5th grade gather in the narthex for the “procession”
· 10:15am – Children process into church with choir/clergy, and continue to 3rd floor
· 10:15 – 10:45am - Sunday School (ages 4-11ish) meets on 3rd floor (in age groups)
· 10:45am - Sunday School children return to their families for Communion
SING!* The children, youth (and their families) are encourage to come a bit early into the church at 10:00am each Sunday to sing together before the service. We’ll gather in the East Transept, learn one or two songs each week: songs that are part of our service, songs they will learn ‘by heart’, fun songs that will stay with them for the rest of their lives. If you have a song you would like to teach, or if you are willing to help, please call me!
Infants and Toddlers (0 – age 3)
Please know that Infants and Young Children – and all their sounds and wiggles – are very welcome to be in church throughout the worship service! If they walk around or ‘talk’, it’s all good. Really!
· Nursery – for infants to 3 years. Your child/ren can go to the Nursery with two trained, professional adult caregivers for any part the 10:15 service for the duration of the 10:15am service - This is different from in years past – you do not have to pick children up before communion – although you are welcome to bring your child to receive communion. Nursery service is available from 10:00 and 11:30 (end of service).
· Family Tree House (a.k.a. the “Cry Room”)– this room is available overlooking the sanctuary for parents who want to hear the service and stay with their children.
· Activity bags with soft toys are available to borrow at entrances of the church to keep the children busy.
· Ask any usher for directions to any of these spaces/activities.
Here’s the most important thing to remember – babies and toddlers and young children are VERY WELCOME HERE! Please contact Rev. Beth Taylor with any questions or concerns.
Young Children (Ages 4-11)
Please bring children with you at 10:00am to the church to SING* and then they will leave the church as a group at 10:15 for Sunday School on the 3rd floor. The leaders will bring the children back to the church to join their families for communion at about 10:45.
“Connect” (Tweens) Ages 9ish – 11ish –Our older children will take a journey through the Scriptures, exploring connections with the stories each week. They are encouraged to bring their Connect Bibles to church each week (Third graders will receive a new Bible in church at the beginning of the school year) .
NEW! Art Installation Projects – This year, on designated Sundays, the kids will be making temporary seasonal art installations for special places in the church. If you are interested in helping, contact Jelane Richardson at 313-304-0497.
How will I know what’s GOING ON from week to week?
· All of the activities are printed weekly in the Worship Bulletin/Announcements section
· Brief reminders are listed in the weekly E-newsletter that is sent on Thursday afternoons
· Announcements are posted on St. John’s Facebook page: St. John’s Episcopal Church, Royal Oak MI Forms, special events, and the Church Calendar are posted on St. John’s website: www.stjohnro.org
· We send occasional announcements by mail or email to specific age groups (i.e. parents of Toddlers, Youth preparing for Confirmation, etc).
Other Important Dates:
· First Sunday of (Every) Month/October thru June – Breakfast after the 10:15 service. The youth group helps with this each month.
· *BAPTISMS- If you want more information about Baptisms, please contact Rev. Beth Taylor 248-546-1255.
Master Calendar (other activities may be added)
· Sunday, March 20 – Palm Sunday – no Sunday School (children in church)
· Sunday, March 27 – Easter Sunday – (children in church – ring bells and wave streamers)
Adult Leaders, Teachers, Volunteers, Assistants – We are always looking for more volunteer help. If you are interested in volunteering in any way, please call Rev. Beth Taylor at 248-546-1255 and we will connect you!
Please call if you have any questions. We’ll see you in church!
The Rev. Beth Taylor, Rector and your Children and Youth Ministries Leadership Team